Preah Khan is one if the larger temples at Angkor, its layout is crowded and complex and it functioned not only as a temple, but as a Buddhist monastery and university with over 1000 monks. Preah Khan temple was built in the late 12th century, completed in the year 1191, by king Jayavarman VII during his massive building campaign which included the building of Ta Prohm, Srah Srang and the huge walled city complex of Angkor Thom.
The layout of Preah Khan is similar to Ta Prohm, and served a similar purpose around the same time. Preah Khan was dedicated to Jayavarman VII’s father, just as Ta Prohm was dedicated to his mother when it was built a few years before Preah Khan.
Most commonly, visits to Preah Khan start at the west entrance, you can then walk through the temple to emerge on the other side. The eastern approach causeway is much less crowded, it feels very lost in the jungle walking along the tree lined approach to Preah Khan.